The National Security Agency (NSA) is a national-level intelligence agency of the United States Department of Defense, under the authority of the Director of National Intelligence. The NSA is responsible for global monitoring, collection, and processing of information and data for foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes, specializing in a discipline known as signals intelligence (SIGINT). – Wikipedia.
NSA is known for its secrecy but this secrecy of the agency has been endangered from the last couple of years. The leak of NSA tools is a trending topic from the last couple of months.
NSA is well known for its hacking tools, especially windows hacking tools, a lot of their tools which were released by The Shadow Brokers are being used in ransomware attacks like WannaCry.
NSA started addressing public after the Edward Snowden leaks as it opened an official Twitter account, and now after a couple of weeks of the Shadow Brokers NSA hacking tools dump they joined GitHub.
GitHub is an open source platform commonly used to host open source projects developed by different people and tech enthusiasts all over the world.
NSA opened and official GitHub account and launched an official GitHub page of theirs. Currently, the account holds 32 of their projects.
Some of the projects are:
- Apache Accumulo: A sorted, distributed key/value store that provides robust, scalable data storage and retrieval.
- Control Flow Integrity Research: A proposed hardware-based method for stopping known memory corruption exploitation techniques described in the “Hardware Control Flow Integrity for an IT Ecosystem” research paper.
- FEMTO: An indexing and search system for queries on sequences of bytes that offers lightning-fast searches on data of arbitrary formats.
- DCP: A program that reduces the timespan needed for making a forensic copy of hard drives for forensic analysis.
- EOWS: A web-enabled prototype tool that implements the Open Checklist Interactive Language (OCIL) capabilities for creating, managing, and responding to questionnaires.
“The NSA Technology Transfer Program (TTP) works with agency innovators who wish to use this collaborative model for transferring their technology to the commercial marketplace. OSS invites the cooperative development of technology, encouraging broad use and adoption. The public benefits by adopting, enhancing, adapting, or commercializing the software. The government benefits from the open source community’s enhancements to the technology.” – Says the Agency in their GitHub Page.
The tools released by the agency can be found here.
- Making Yourself A Free Text To Speech Program In Linux in 5 Minutes! - 27th February 2018
- Norway Healthcare Data Breach, Up to 2.9 Million People Affected - 22nd January 2018
- OnePlus Hacked: 40,000 Customers Affected by the Hack - 21st January 2018